How effective are advertised lawnseed cures?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lawn with a corner area (approx 4m sq) suffering due to it being in relative shade under a mature eucalyptus tree.

I regularly read about "advanced lawn seed mixtures....only available direct from UK distributors" being advertised in sunday newspapers. Which are said to grow "anywhere, even bare shady areas".

Does it deliver?

Normally I would not believe everything written in newspapers, particularly full page adverts offering miracle cures. But has anyone tried these with any success?

VMT - Doug

Sponsored Links
Doug: Sutton Seeds are a reputable company who provide grass seeds for a whole host of differing environments. You need a grass suitable for shady area's.

Have a look at this

Thanks Lou - The website was an interesting read, but did not go into details about its use. Do you know what ground work is required before use? I've given the lawn its first cut of the season (on high setting) and looking to give it a feed. But don't want to do too much before establishing the new seed.

I suppose a 'sprinkle seed and forget' is too much to ask?

Doug

I don't think i would waste money on seeding and feeding stuff. Because it's such a small area i would returf it. But don't buy turf from a diy store cause it's rubbish, you can get good turf for £3 per meter so it won't cost you much if you pick it up in the car and will look nice for longer obviously eventually you will still have the same problem, grass needs sunshine.

good luck

Sponsored Links
The trouble with turf is yiou do not get the same selection of grasses.

Get rake the area, a grass rake is ideal, and rake the area well to remove and debris and also break up the surface of the soil. Add some new soil if need be as the seed needs loose soil to enable it to germinate. Sprinkle your seed on top, about a handful per sqaure metre and rake. Keep moist and wait for the growth. Late March / early April is a good time to do this

40gsm of seed is the "normal" rate but as near as dammit will do

mixing it with some sand tends to keep birds away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back