How far should my boiler thermostat go in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I've just had a plumber round to put in a new boiler thermostat. While I was changing it round so the thermostat was facing the correct way (so I could see the nice red line - don't ask me why he thought I'd be dumb enough to think it was meant to be the other way -!!!!) I noticed that the wire that goes into the boiler was quite far out. So, I pulled it out and saw the big blob of copper and it was very close to the outside. The copper wire attaching it to the thermostat has a little washer on it - should the "blob" be pushed in up to that washer?

many thanks,
John.

Sponsored Links
So long as the phial is completely in the hole it should work Ok.

If it isnt in far enough you will notice that the boiler starts to kettle more than usual as the phial is not sensing the temperature properly

Ah ha !

That'll explain why, for all these years :) there's been a boiling sound coming from the pipes when the thermostat was broken for all that time !!!

Blimey, I'm a lazy bugger for not thinking about it then !

many thanks !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back