How good are my windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The windows in my flat are what I would call panel windows, they are pretty flimsy.

The gap between the two glass panes in each panel is only about 1cm I'd say. How good is this at keeping the cold out?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Nobody knows anything about double glazing here? Strange.....

post some pics, that always excites people.

Daz223 said:
The gap between the two glass panes in each panel is only about 1cm I'd say. How good is this at keeping the cold out?
Well, they are better than single glazed, the most popular are the 28mm spacer but they are getting better all the time specially with the heat saving glass such as "Low e glass" then you also got Pilkington K Glass which is a coated glass to reflect the heat back into the room, another one is a secondary glazing which I have in my bedroom 150mm away from the double galzing window which is mainly for soundproofing and again it's warmer, loads of info in google regarding type of glass. The other problem is to control condensation if you're making the room warmer with these windows.

Sponsored Links
You do not say what they are made of. Older aluminium windows have uninsulated frames with no heat-break so they get very cold (older ones are also often draughty too).

However the cost of fitting new D/G windows is not repaid in heating savings, the payback period is longer than you are likely to live (and if you fit plastic ones they will reduce the value of the house as well as they're so ugly and easy to burgarise).

I'll try to take a shot or two with the webcam tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

Right, forgive me if this bores you!
If the air cavity is that small i would say that the units are fairly old, due to that i would hazzard a guess that both panes of glass are just float glass.
The U value of a single glazed 'unit' (1 piece of float glass in a frame) is 5.9W/m2K
The U value of a double glazed unit as described previously (10mm air gap) is 3.0W/m2K.

So, your units are essentially twice as thermally efficient as a single glazed window pane.

A modern 'basic' double glazed unit has a centre pane U value of 1.7W/m2k (28mm unit 4/20/4 with Float glass & Pilkington K)
This is the standard unit that complies with the latest minimum requirement for Part L of the building regs for replacement windows.

So, to answer your question, your windows are better than single glazed but not as good as a new double glazed unit.

I took this with the webcam, hope it will do.

window2.jpg

Vertical sliding sash in aluminium, is that?

I've got them!

Cool, you're the man to talk to then!

What are your impressions of them then John? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back