How I have reduced my energy bills.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With all the news of energy costs I thought I should share what I fitted over a year ago. I installed a bran new Air Source Heat Pump with an output of 15 Kw in 2012. It`s working brilliant my whole house has been so cosy, a 4 bed semi & attic conversion, with a 6 Mtr UHF conservatory and heated Koi Pond.
Well worth the capital outlay of £1,500 plumbed into my flow & return of my Gas boiler, I have wired my system to operate via an optimizer/stat. I set that to maximise the COP factor so that the ASHP does not ice over, (it costs to melt ice) when this happens the COP factor is not very good, as on all ASHP`s. That is why I use my Heat Pump as a Hybrid when the dew point is likely cause less efficient use. The Hybrid use has enabled me to only use 20% of the gas I used on many previous years, that's now 80% of my heat coming from a more eco source, AIR. The Leccy use has not risen by very much ( I don`t think all my LED lamps have saved so much) so my outlay payback should be on track in about 4 years. The ASHP is controlled by my optimisation / stat wired so that when it`s inhibited, the Gas boiler will take over if frosty. Although the ASHP output temp is set lower, that has proved to be acceptable as I have some oversized rads & UFH acts as a thermal store, when it`s colder the gas boiler (at a higher temp) overcomes the greater heat losses. The "shoulder" months are when the COP values really pay off at 3, 4, or nearly 5 times the input Kw, so even allowing for high leccy prices over gas there is quite a good saving. Some have Mitsubishi, Toshiba or ( mine ) a Sanyo compressor with the more efficient defrost system of a 4 way valve instead of elements to melt the winter ice. As you can tell I have had a mainly electrical career for well over fifty years so I have a relay for all zone digistats to be "ON" via the heat source in use. Many of the quotes that I had were horrendous £15 K to over £20 K for a system that is little better (if at all ) for under £2K easy self install, as a pensioner I am well happy for such an efficient system. Hope you have found these comments helpful. I am Not sure if it`s OK to mention the brand so have left it out, as I have no connection other than a very satisfied pensioner with a system that works well.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back