How Long is a Piece of Wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just pondering the potential future use of my late mother's house which will be modernised before renting it out or maybe selling.

The electrical installation was adequate for one little old lady living in it, but I expect the future will involve a family. We keep being told the future is EV so it crossed my mind that a Zappi might be needed at some point.

Made me think, how would the supply be upgraded? The current main fuse is 60A and the building is fed via an overhead cable anchored to the chimney stack. The cable was replaced as routine maintenance a couple of years ago. Would they just swap out the 60A for a 100A?

Sponsored Links
Made me think, how would the supply be upgraded? The current main fuse is 60A and the building is fed via an overhead cable anchored to the chimney stack. The cable was replaced as routine maintenance a couple of years ago. Would they just swap out the 60A for a 100A?
As I imagine you probably realised, "it depends" on various factors, not the least of which is the capacity available in your local part of the distribution network. The cables, per se, are likely to be adequate for at least an 80A supply, if not also a 100A one but that doesn't mean that additional capacity is necessarily available. I'm afraid that no-one other than your DNO could give you an answer.

Kind Regards, John

Also the zappi has a load limiting feature, so even if you only have a 60A supply you should still be able to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back