How long to plaster an entire house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4 bedroom house that needs plastering from scratch. Its an old house and the job involves floating the (bare brick) walls, boarding the ceilings, skimming the lot. Guy who was recommended gave us a price (6k) and told us that it should take less than 4 weeks. All sounded ok but now I found out he works on his own - no labourer. To me 4 weeks sounded quite tight for two guys - for someone on their own I find it hard to believe it can be done so quickly. Its around 450square meters of walls that needs to be floated + skimmed and 200m2 of ceilings.
Does that sound like he'll be rushing to finish or not?[/i]

Sponsored Links
Alsto is anyone in Stoke-on-Trent area or willing to travel interested in quoting?

Have trowel will travel wiil be along soon don't worry ;)

Sponsored Links
whats it going to be floated with? sand and cement or hardwall?
4 weeks is a realistic target but its going to be a struggle on his own, there is certainly enough money there to have a labourer, thats £1500 a week did he quote you with or without materials?

I think its going to be with hardwall. Price does include materials but like you say there is enough money there to have a labourer.

Thats gotta be including materials, seriously, I didn't think money like that for trades was still about! I struggle to manage a third of that most of the time. If the guy says he can do it in that time, ask him if he will accept a penalty clause in the contract :?:

I think its going to be with hardwall. Price does include materials but like you say there is enough money there to have a labourer.
thats between 150-160 bags of hardwall @ about fiver a bag= a lot of money about £800, sand and cement would be a fraction of that and would be a lot better for the house

oi oi lads yer im in but id float it with hardwall and use a machine for it
or sand and cement is nice to work with but its up too the client id say 4 weeks is a good time frame two spreads easy yer im up for it £5500
msg me and we will have a chat m8

We have a 4 bedroom house that needs plastering from scratch. Its an old house and the job involves floating the (bare brick) walls, boarding the ceilings, skimming the lot. Guy who was recommended gave us a price (6k) and told us that it should take less than 4 weeks. All sounded ok but now I found out he works on his own - no labourer. To me 4 weeks sounded quite tight for two guys - for someone on their own I find it hard to believe it can be done so quickly. Its around 450square meters of walls that needs to be floated + skimmed and 200m2 of ceilings.
Does that sound like he'll be rushing to finish or not?[/i]

25 m2 a day float and set, - say 18 days (big difference in F/S times for peple)
90m2 a day skimming ceilings - say 2 and a bit days
90m2 a day boarding - say 3 days if decent tacker on flat work

23 days - with 6 day weeks ?

Beading, loading out also needs doing , he might work long days, so 4 weeks not outlandish.

I'd be more concerned about the standard of work than a few days either way. Hard to comment on the price sight unseen but 6k with materials does not sound dear to me at all- and if he can do that work leaving it nice he'll earn the money regardless of whether he has a four man gang or on his tod. Price and time alone are not the criteria for who does the job!!!

hmm, he was saying it'll take him around 18 days in total.

Get Plstring on the job. He'd never dare make a bad job cuz everyone knows him. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back