How much should it cost to skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4mx4m (approx) room in our new house and I've been quoted anything from £120 - £500 to skim it.

Whats an appropriate cost to skim?

MOD

see item 9

Sponsored Links
lets say theres around 50m measuring the windows and doors straight through on site gettin about £2.50m = £125 but thats skimmin plasterboard in a new house with no furniture or people living there stressing them and more metres to go at in other rooms and another gaff to go into next,none of the stress of visiting jobs in the evening and trying to convince people your not a conman. fair enough £120 to £500 does sound mad but ask yourself were are you gonna get a decent plasterer to do it for £120. You dont say wether materials are supplied or not, a lot of people think because your a plasterer you get the plaster for nothing, or it will suddenly appear in the back off the van like youve got an endless supply. i price many reskims and usually i ask, are you having extra sockets, new skirtings, new architraves or extra lighting these things need to be done first, most of the time all the corners need squaring up some like bullnosed angles but you need to know. A lot of people think they save money if they dont get the ceiling done and i would always advise you have it done theres no point in getting the room skimmed without it, it will look ****e and youlle be gutted. people ask me all the time "how much without the ceiling" i cant give you a price without the ceiling because then people do the maths then they think theyve got a price for the ceiling then start adding and deducting, be honest about what you want from the start and go with what you think is an honest price. is doesnt guarantee it will be right so always get recommendations if you can. Another problem is there are no decent spreads at the moment sat waiting for the phone to ring so if your gonna do a job and youlle need a plasterer in a few weeks dont wait till the day before and ring them thats how you get the difference in price and ill guarantee the guy who charged you £120 can start tomorrow.

I had my flat skimmed over the last couple of weeks. My walls were in a REALLY bad state and the plasterer has done an amazing job - His rate was £100 per day. It took him 8 days to do -

Living room (about 20' x 20' with high ceilings) - walls and ceiling
Hall (large hall) - walls, ceiling and put up cornice.
Kitchen (large) - walls, ceilings and put up coving.
Dining Room (small) walls and ceilings.
2nd bedroom (small) - ceiling.

Forgot to mention - I supplied materials, he just gave me a list when he came to look at the job.

please note 10a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back