How often does a dodgy bag of bonding come along?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Been plastering this weekend and had an area i wanted to float and set with Bonding. Opened the first bag and mixed enough to put down a screed to work from and worked the remainder into the edges.
4 hours later it had not set. It had not darkened or firmed at all significantly. I've not seen this before.

I got the two bags of thistle bonding from my local DIY store (two letters, starts with B...). I got them about 10 days ago, but stored in the lounge on polythene, as garage has been cold & bit damp. They were still in date to 10th march. Local DIY store swapped them with no question and replacement bags have been fine.
I'm glad was only a screed I had to scrape off, would have been mighty pi**ed if I'd floated a first coat and had to take it off!

Is storing plaster in a warm house environment my problem do you think?
Or is it just an unlucky batch and it happens?

Sponsored Links
i know BG play about with there plasters in the summer and the winter..
setting times ect
we get the od 1 or 2 bags or thistel muilti finish had some dodgy hardwall in the past...

has dot and dab rapped set on me once....

ask steve he had some dodgy gear once or was that his dodgy plastering cant remember!!!!!!!

sorry mate i just had too LOL

ask steve
i can remember 1 or 2 bags of bonding that took its time to go off on a certian job i was on, it was a good 2-3 hours i waited and it was still not firm so i decided to leave and come back the next day, the background i put it on was plasterboard and i had to form a profile (curve) with it because it was supposed to be a curved wall and the boarders had snapped the board making it flat so i had to form a curve on it, it did go off in the end not sure how long it took though, what background did you put it on newb?

what background did you put it on newb?

Was over medium density blocks. They were put in to block up an opening, about a month ago.
I did put diluted pva onto the blocks and applied the bonding when pva was tacky. Didn't want too much suction to make it crack. Maybe I killed the suction completely and it damaged the plaster.
Once I scraped it off, I put it into a plastic bag ready for binning. Next day it had sort of gone hard, but still crumbly. Normally the waste plaster goes in a bag and is rock hard v quickly. Was nothing like that.
Sounds like one to chalk to experience. Maybe get my gear just as I need it, rather than leave it hanging around.

Sponsored Links
what background did you put it on newb?

Was over medium density blocks. They were put in to block up an opening, about a month ago.
I did put diluted pva onto the blocks and applied the bonding when pva was tacky. Didn't want too much suction to make it crack. Maybe I killed the suction completely and it damaged the plaster.
Once I scraped it off, I put it into a plastic bag ready for binning. Next day it had sort of gone hard, but still crumbly. Normally the waste plaster goes in a bag and is rock hard v quickly. Was nothing like that.
Sounds like one to chalk to experience. Maybe get my gear just as I need it, rather than leave it hanging around.
i recken it would have been alright if you have left it dont forget bonding is made for low suction backgrounds so you dident do anything wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back