How to achieve 0.2 u-value cheaply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to find the best insulation in terms of price for my pitched roof (vented, 600mm between rafters and 190mm depth). It need to be done as per regulations with u-value of 0.2. I have found with this calculator that I need thickness at least of 150mm of Celotex insulation which will be very expensive since I need 100m2 of it. Don't know about Kingspan; can't find their calculator. Unfortunately reflective foil over rafters won't be accepted by local building standards Officer.
So what my options to keep u-value and use cheaper insulation then?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no magic solution, if there was a cheap way to achieve it everyone (well, with a brain/conscience) would do it. I've found that Kingspan is usually the preferred choice by builders as it seems to be a bit cheaper than Celotex, you'll likely need a very similar thickness. Phone up their technical advice line and they'll tell you there and then.

the only cheaper option is to hang some 6 x 2 or similar from the rafters which will give you more depth, then you will be able to get away with rolls. It is a lot of extra work and not worth your time if being paid but is a fav with the self builder who has cheap/ free hours to devote.

Of course it has its obvious draw backs too and by the time you buy the timber it does work out cheaper usually but not by much..

Thanks all for replies. I think I will stick to normal Kingspan pitched roof insulation. However to achieve my u-value I will need certain thickness and every mm counts.
Is there any online Kingspan calculator to check which type and thickness I should use to get 0.2 u-value?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back