How to achieve a limewash paint effect on Pine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just sanded down an old chest of drawers to the bare pine, removing a layer of varnish. I would now like to apply a limewash paint effect but am unsure of how to do this & I can't find anything definitive with the usual google searches.

I did read something on a forum about thining down some emulsion paint with water & wiping the paint off with a rag to achieve the effect. Is this correct, if so can I use left over matt emulsion paint that I used to paint my walls, any ideas about recommended dilution proportions for a very light paint effect - I want an almost bleached wood look; how long should I leave the paint before wiping?

Thanks in advance, Jason

Sponsored Links
Jason.

The method of which you speak can become very involved, and you would be better advised to use a white woodstain and finish with two coats of satin acrylic varnish. take a look at mylands a far better choice.

Dec.

You can get a lime wax which gives a decent white washed effect. Brewers stock it, or buy online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back