Prep work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating the spare room - it was fully stripped and painted about 4 years ago (wallpaper removed, sanded, sugar soaped etc), and I'm really wondering how far I need to go with the prep work this time. The paint is flaking slightly in places (at the top of the walls).

My plan is to sand, then wipe down with a damp cloth, coat the walls with PVA and get cracking with a roller (the current paint is Crown matt emulsion, the new paint is Dulux matt emulsion).

Sponsored Links
Why PVA?
Surely youd be better using a thinned down coat of emmulsion, PVA will seal the wall, meaning its difficult to paint, use PVA or size for wallpapering not for painting

So simply wiping the walls down with a damp cloth, after sanding, will give a good surface? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
As Andy says dont use PVA on walls to be painted again. If there are flakey patches give them a good rub down and touch them up with either thinned emulsion or use an oil based undercoat first to bind the surface back prior to emusion painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back