How to adjust this double glazed window

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some windows installed 18+ months ago.
The window has become angled somehow.
There's a gap at the top and the window can't be shut now.

I've had a look and can't see ANYTHING that looks like it will adjust the position of the window.
Like on a double glazed door for example.

I have taken a picture of the top. See below. There are 2 brass screws - I've circled in red. I'm guessing these are there for adjusting somehow? All other screws look like they aren't meant to move.

Cot4wk.jpg

Can anyone help!?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think the brass screws adjust level of friction on hinge.

If the sash has dropped, you either need to mone friction stays by unscrewing all fixed screws, loosening the 2 screws in slots, move stay and retighten.

Sometimes upvc windows drop because they go out of square, that might mean heel and toeing glass.

Nothing adjustable on the hinge itself.
You say its only 18 month old will the installer not come back and adjust it?
Assuming its a side hung window are you saying there is a gap at the top on the handle side? If so the glass needs "Heel & Toeing" as mentioned above

I think the brass screws adjust level of friction on hinge.
So therefore NOT to adjust this to try and fix the current problem?

If the sash has dropped, you either need to mone friction stays by unscrewing all fixed screws, loosening the 2 screws in slots, move stay and retighten.
Apologies, I don't follow. Did you make a typo?

I took 2 further photos, they don't really help I don't think!
But I thought I would show anyway.

k1cJw5.jpg

cJAH3r.jpg

Is this what I should do
: loosen ALL screws and push window into place and then re-tighten?
(Just trying to guess what the advice above given was)
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
We still don't know what your trying to adjust.

Is it drafty? If so and its on the hinge side you need new hinges.
If its on the handles side you may be able to adjust the mushroom keeps.
Has it dropped on the handle side? Rubbing at the bottom and gap at the top. If so you need to toe and heel the glass. Beads out and repack the glass then replace beads.

There is no adjustment on the screws you keep asking about. If it needs a bit of side to side adjustment then you need to take the sash out and adjust it where the hinges are screwed to the sash (not accessible without removing it first).

Again at 18 months old will the installers not come back to sort it out?

Guys, thanks for all replies. I've been slow in acting.

We had an extension made 18 months ago. The builders hired another company to do the windows. The windows company was very very rude and horrible. I don't want to call on them - I would rather get help from elsewhere.

I got the main builder to come and look at the problem. He looked at and said the hinge was broken. When you move the window, you can visibly see movement.

He said I can fix myself.

I've had a look and am not sure what to get.
The existing hinge measures 16 inches x 13mm.
I've looked on ebay and find plenty of results.
I need to have one with a safety release - that you press to open the window further.

I thought I would ask here about what to buy before I bought.
I see Yale ones. I assume these are universal? (Existing are not Yale as far as I can see)

I've seen on ebay one seller.
He has 2 options that I'm not 100% sure of:

Stack Height - he has 17mm and 12mm options - I assume 17mm is what I need?
Stack Height Caps - what is this?

EDIT: I've just looked at Screwfix. I see 414mm. 16 inches = 404.6mm. will this one be OK? The only thing is, I don't see the safety press button anywhere.

EDIT: I've just looked at a pair that is sold on Amazon. The thing is, both hinges have the safety release buttons. I realised that I only have this button on the bottom hinge. Are these removable?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The safety release button , looking at your picture , is a ' restrictor ' hinge ( only opens so far before pushing that button ) , normally sold in pairs. you do get a little bit of movement from ' Friction stays ' ( window hinges ) when you wobble them.

Can you actually see where the hinge is broken ? ( Its unusual for hinges to break within 18 months )
Is the gap on the ' hinge ' side of the window ( closest to your wall ) ? ... you haven't yet answered this one asked by others, if not the glass could just need repfitting ( toe and heeling ) or as has been suggested the actual hinges can be moved on the sash/frame , it may be that the screws holding the friction stays to the sash have come loose ... I have seen this a few times!

If you are buying new hinges , buy 13mm stack with the stack height caps . Upvc has two different heights for the window hinges , 13mm or 17mm. Without taking a hinge off its very hard to measure the actual height , so some sell the smaller height with round packers to go below the hinge ( called stack height caps )

400mm side hung ( 16 inch ) restrictor stays are what you require from your description , IF the hinge is actually broken. Just bear in mind you will have to replace both hinges to ensure you get the correct ' angle ' of opening top and bottom , and the whole sash will need to be removed. You will either need someone to hold the sash whilst you unscrew it , or you will need to deglaze the sash to make it a lot lighter ( maybe worth doing this anyway to safe any potential glass breakages )

Honestly , if it were me , in your position , as much as you dislike the windowfitters, I would be getting them back to do it...It is under warranty, so why should you go to the hassle of paying out and doing it when they should be fixing it Free... Don't let the bad attitude and rudeness stop you getting what you are entitled to! Also if for any reason do you need to call them back in the future and you have repaired/replaced the hinges they may try and wiggle out and say you have invalidated any guarantee/warranty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back