how to best insulate and board this loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After a bit of advice for our next project. We have a bit of an unorthodox set up in our loft space which essentially is split into two. We have a converted loft room (albeit low head height) which the kids use as a play area, and then the actual loft which we use for storage which is accessed from a doorway from the former. The door and lining had to come off to fit the new unvented cylinder in, so I need to redo all of that as well.

I've attached a photo of the loft area currently. Evidently the boarding has been done badly with just random offcuts/side panels being used, and the loft insulation is patchy as well. The joists are 100mm thick. I don't want to raise the floor levels too much comparative to the adjoining loft room. Rigid board seems the way to go for maximum insulation if we got 100mm thickness. But, seems a bit of a minefield with the foil backing/condensation on top of plasterboard- plus our house is best described as average in terms of overall insulation levels so perhaps diminishing returns? The other option I was looking at was sheeps wool. Seems easier and to be honest I slo didn't realise celotex was so expensive until I had a look this evening.

Any advice or other suggestions appreciated. I was going to use some kind of battening to create an air gap before boarding with chipboard or similar.

Attachments

• B741029A-7F41-4757-960D-D15BFA785A04.jpeg
    B741029A-7F41-4757-960D-D15BFA785A04.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back