How to best insulate walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an extension thats been built with a single brick wall, no original DPC(just injected Dryzone into it), above is flat roof at 30deg slope with 300mm insulation, covered with slate. I need to insulate walls in this room and finish it off with plaster or plasterboard as it will be used as a kitchen. Now my question is: I do not know what sort of foundation we have there(if any) i was thinking of either putting another wall using Thermalite blocks or similar(so not to heavy) tie it into ouside wall and putting 100mm of insulation into cavity between them and finish with wet plaster or use plasterboard on timber/metal frame and same 100mm insulation. What would u suggest please?Misses wants to hang cupboards in her new kitchen but it might be difficult with plasterboard finish...?unless planks of wood are fitted under plasterboards...?
Many thanks
AJ

Sponsored Links
Build a 100mm timber stud wall with celotex insulation between the studs, then cover the wall with 18mm wbp ply. Your kitchen man will be thrilled as he will be able to fix anywhere!

Finish the ply just short of the ceiling so that you can plasterboard and skim the visible bit above the wall units.

This method is ok provided you intend tiling or such like between work surface and underside of the wall units. ;)

We did a similar thing with our kitchen extension. To be honest, we didn't have a clue what we needed before we started it so we went to a trade place instead of a DIY one because we thought they might be able to give us abit more technical advice on what we needed.

We ended up at our local Build Center up the road from us. They were really good, we got everything we needed and the prices were really reasonable - if you go in and tell them what your trying to do with your project, they'll tell you what you need and give you a price there and then.

I use the Wolverhampton branch but they've got branches all over i think. Not sure where your based but you can find your nearest one on the Internet: www.buildcenter.co.uk

Hope this helps...abit AJ!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back