How to best mend these cracks in Victorian Bay Window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would I best mend these cracks in the bay window area?

Looks like I would have to first remove all the old render/cement/filler/silicone. It seems when they tore out the old original wooden windows they cracked a lot of the render/stone and then patched it up and in time it came loose hence the crack. I estimate these PVC windows were fitted around 2005.

However how should I fill it back up most effectively before painting it?

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Some sort of cement based filler like bosch cementone, available for SF and toolstation, they can be overpainted iirc.

Blup

Some sort of cement based filler like bosch cementone, available for SF and toolstation, they can be overpainted iirc.

Blup
Would it be correct to first pick out all of the old cement/filler/silicone between the crack and the window before putting a new cement based filler into it?

Also once it's done I think it will need new silicone all around right?

Are you a tradesman or diyer? as it looks like there is scaffolding up and the front of the building is being decorated.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Are you a tradesman or diyer? as it looks like there is scaffolding up and the front of the building is being decorated.

Andy
DIYer,

Scaffolding is up for re-roofing which is being done by a Roofing company.

I want to deal with the windows myself

Would it be correct to first pick out all of the old cement/filler/silicone between the crack and the window before putting a new cement based filler into it?

Also once it's done I think it will need new silicone all around right?
Yes, and a suitable exterior silicone.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back