How to check if cylinder coil is leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Sorry to post again but still having issues with my system. Something I'm wanting to check is of my cylinder coil is leaking (indirect, vented system)
As I have posted on previous threads I have the following issues:

Cylinder making a lot of noise, particularly when room stat reaches temperature and boiler goes into pump overrun (CH valve closes and all flow goes through cylinder)

Having to bleed air out of system regularly

F&E tank full of sludge despite system being recently drained.

I would like to check if this is being caused by a leaking cylinder coil, to my novice mind this would make sense as the constant supply of fresh water to the CH system would cause corrosion. The noise from cylinder sounds like water or air being released and all the sludge in the tank is surely unusual after the system has only recently been drained.

1 other thing is my toddler daughter has a bath in this water every night if this has been cross contaminated will the wayer be harmful in any way?

Also, I have British gas home care, does anyone know if this type of thing is covered?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is there water going out from the FE tank overflow pipe?

Sponsored Links
Is there water going out from the FE tank overflow pipe?
I have just checked and it doesn't look like it (please see white pipe in picture to check I'm looking at correct thing). If it was going to overflow wouldn't do this constantly or only at certain times ie when CH is running
20161222_203325.jpg
Thanks for the reply

Constantly. I've not read your previous posts. You sure you have an FE tank and not a sealed system? What's that copper pipe near the flue?

That does help. It won't be the coil. Why was the tank drained? It's an awful setup and probably why you have air trapped, bubbling up via those circs to the tank.

That does help. It won't be the coil. Why was the tank drained? It's an awful setup and probably why you have air trapped, bubbling up via those circs to the tank.
Thanks for getting back to me, for my own understanding can you tell me please why it won't be the coil and why it's a bad setup?
The system was drained because I had 2 rads in the living room (furthest point from boiler) that weren't heating up, basically the system got drained, the rads were removed blasted through with mains water and refitted. A cleanser was then put through the system for about an hour, I think it was then drained again and refilled along with inhibitor. Since then the 2 rads in the living room have been better but iv started getting this issue with noise and cycling, as mentioned previously its at its worst during the overrun when everything goes through the cylinder and bypass (CH zone valve gets closed)

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back