How to cut an Arial cable and connect...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a bit of DIY arial maintenance.

I am splitting the cable outside to then run into the lounge and bedroom. I have all the relevent connector boxes, cable etc etc but I have a question.

How do you cut the cable to then fix the Connectors to it and do I use satellite connectors or normal coaxial connectors?

Also, can I use satellite cable or do I use normal coaxial to run into a normal TV and then a Freeview HDD DVD Recorder? - I think the main difference being the signal strenght down the cable??

Thanks peeps

d

Sponsored Links
Don't split the signal to feed two areas without an amplifier. You could get away with it if the signal was strong on the old analogue system; a drop in signal might have shown up as a bit of noise in the picture. But with digital you'd see the same loss as pixelation and blockiness which will ruin your viewing.

Bring the cable in to the house, add an aerial distribution amplifier - one that is mains powered - and then run cables from the amp to the bedroom and livingroom.

If you put the amp in behind the livingroom TV then it will be simpler to power it and you have the opportunity to send Sky or a Freeview recorder signal to the bedroom TV very easily.

I have an SLX 2 way masthead UHF Aerial Amp to split the feed outside and a Masthead amp with mains power supply to place in the lounge.

I have an SLX 2 way masthead UHF Aerial Amp to split the feed outside and a Masthead amp with mains power supply to place in the lounge.
Well why didn't you say that in your first post! You need to give all the relevant info if you expect someone to answer your question you dingbat :LOL:

Use Google and search for "fitting F plugs" - you'll find images and video tutorials. Google for "fitting coax plugs" too.

Satellite cable is generally better than aerial coax, assuming of course that you're comparing good versions of each. The benefit of satellite cable is that it should be lower loss (lower attenuation) which means more of the signal gets from the aerial to the TV. Look for Webro WF100 or WF125.

Sponsored Links
Sorry ChrisFrost, didn't think, assumed that someone would know I was doing all that.

Thanks for the google tips, found top guides on both, so all I need to do now is put the plan into action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back