How to cut corrugated sheeting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to make a bit of a lean-to at the back of my garage,using some old corrugated plastic roofing sheets that I have lying about, problem is they are a bit too long so I want to trim them but the plastic seems very brittle,whats the best way to cut it accross the corrugated sections,is it too old to use? does it go brittle with age?

Sponsored Links
these sheets do become brittle with age,the best way to cut them is with a sharp,fine toothed saw.sandwich the sheet between 2 pieces of timber,back just slightly from the line of cut,then apply enough pressure to the timber to stop the sheet from slipping when cutting,to cut the sheet,keep the angle of the saw very shallow and apply light pressure,too steep and too hard and the saw will bind and break the sheet,get someone to hold the offcut,as you get further along the cut it will start to flap and could snap.the other problem i can see is fixing the sheets,you will need a sharp drill bit for your fixing holes,you could use a soldering iron to make the holes or heat up a nail and poke it through,you run the risk of cracking the sheet when drilling,also,when fixing make sure you use the right fixings.you can buy them from all the sheds,i think there are 10 spacers,washers,caps and screws to a bag,be sure to use the spacers under the sheets otherwise when you tighten down the sheet it will break.also,fix the sheets on the peak of the roll and not in the trough and allow a 2 roll overlap on each sheet,hope this helps.

oh and don't forget the eaves fillers.

Sponsored Links
i have used an angle grinder in the past. you just need a sharp stanley knife to remove the melted burrs. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back