How to cut through old concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 inch concrete slab. I've got to cut a channel in it for foundations for a new garage. I've got a powerful angle grinder with a diamond bit - goes through walls easily, but it does little to this concrete.

I'd like a fairly neat break, so put off a Kango. I could hire an industrial strength concrete cutter. What would you guys do?

Sponsored Links
If you've got a 9" disc cutter it won't cut through 4" anyway...although would probably be close enough that a good clobber with a sledge hammer would break the rest of it.

If I were you I'd hire a 12" water cooled petrol disc cutter.

I've done similar using a combo of 9" grinder plus stitch drilling with a 4kg SDS and then sledge. But I already had the tools so no investment required. Once you get a hole going it's relatively easy.

Sponsored Links
I've done similar with combination of 9" grinder plus kango hammer. It'll only be the bottom of the cut that will be a bit ragged, so no problem. But once completed and old concrete removed you can clean up the edge if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back