How to finish the walls around a log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my front room which has a log burner installed in an inglenook. The plaster behind the log burner has cracked. The fire is only 50mm from the back wall, so i am thinking of bring that forward to around 150mm, or is that a bit too much? and re plastering, would normal multi finish be ok? Would that prevent the plaster from cracking again? also, as the existing plaster has cracks in it would it be better to remove the old plaster first?
TIA

Sponsored Links
You should rely on Mfr's Inst's dimensions for locating the burner with set-back dimensions.
Presumably, by moving the burner you will be adjusting the flue arrangements?
Do you have a projecting hearth?
After removing the old plaster, a sand and cement render is better than gypsum plaster.
Why not post a pic of what you have?

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what make the log burner is and there's no I'd marks on it which dosnt help.
The flue is a solid stainless one. But it hasn't been fixed to the chimney. So I can just drag the log burner forward 100mm. I'm going to the make a bracket and fix the flue.
Ok so a normal render mix would be better, th

Attachments

• 20170131_064104.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 104
sand and cement works and then paint in white to reflect heat. I did both of mine like that and have had no problems.

Sponsored Links
OP,
The file pic you posted shows nothing of use for giving further advice.

20170131_063927.jpg
20170131_063941.jpg
20170131_064003.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back