How to fit bathroom basin to pedestal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi helping my neighbour with his bathrom and he with mine and he is keeping his old sink as it is fairly new but he has bought a pedestal for it to stand on as previously it was on two metal shaped bars, which were not very pretty.

The sink has two holes at the back underneath but I doubt they would hold its weight with just two screws, it looks like it would crack there. It will rest ok on the pedestal although the top of the pedestal looks only 2/3 the size of the recess in the bottom of the sink, ie it will fit but it could also take a bigger pedestal. Is this ok?

The pedestal has two holes at floor level to fix it to the floor.

So my main question is how do you fit the pedestal to the sink, surely it does not just rest there with the 4 screws I mentioned in place?

Do you not use silicon or something to give a more secure connection, whats the best way?

Seems a little odd to me that there are no fixings to join the two but there are no bits that would enable that, is this normal, its a fairly ordinary sink and pedestal?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They normally come with the sink but yes they just sit on top ,, you can put something to cushion the seating like silicone or plumbers mate ..

Yes they do just sit on pedestal, with the basin positioned correctly ie back flush with the wall the holes each side of basin are for holding it back to wall, the pedestal holes at bottom are to stop pedestal twisting etc, you can use a mastic between basin and pedestal if you wish.

Brilliant thanks guys nice quick straight forward answers I can follow.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back