How to get a good finish on silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Recently fitted new kitchen, and tiles splashback all around were the worktop is.

Need to seal where the tile splash back meets the worktop with silicone

Its a real oak wooden surface so I need to get a nice straight neat edge. Every time I've done it in the past it looks s**t

Ive heard that you can run masking tape along the surfaces leaving a gap for the silicone, then after smoothing with the finger you can remove the masking tapes to leave a perfect edge!!!!
does that work??
How long do you leave before you remove the masking tape???

any more tips for a top class job?

Sponsored Links
Yes mate, thats the way i usually do it. you really have to pull the masking tape of very carefully more or less straight away. but it keeps it looking nice and straight. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
This masking business is totaly unneeded. here are my tips as a bathroom installer of nearly 20 years for companies like Dolphin, Invadex and others...before you start clean the surfaces thoroughly.

1. Don't cut too much off the nozzle - If the tiles have been done properly, a 6 - 8 mm bead is sufficient.

2. Practice before making a mess - you need to run gun round at a constant speed and pulling the trigger for a consistent flow of silicone.
Do this and your bead will be straight and even.

3. Dip your finger in the bath (you did fill it right up to settle it didn't you?!) and tool the bead nice smooth, pushing it into the joint - the water stops it sticking to your fingers or dragging and gives it a glassy shine. It also aids curing.

This is how I do it and I can asure it comes out perfect everytime.

having seen many failed attempts by others, I have noticed that the common mistakes are..

1. too much silicone applied then made worse in an attempt to tidy it up.

2. bad tiling onto bath or bath not sited correctly causing the gap to widen making an consistent line impossible.

3. cheap silicone used which are hard to work with - I only use Dow Corning 785

Some great advice guys!

I just bought a small silicone tool that I find spot on also. Cost about £1.50 in B&Q and I just run it along the bead of silicone and wipe off the access with a cloth and drop of thinners. Works for me but I like the other suggestions too. It's an art worth perfecting.

Confidence & speed is the big key when applying a silicone or caulk bead, the mistake most make is working the gun too slowly. If you watch a decent window or bathroom fitter, it initially comes as a bit of a surprise how quickly they do it but it works & gives perfectly consistent beads every time; & spit works better then water but silicone/caulk doesn’t taste very nice if you get any on your finger!

Get yerself one of these mate,

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28167/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealant-Applicators/Fugenboy-Kit-1-BMFG1#

like you i was shyte and tried the masking tape but couldn't get the knack of it. Just done my bathroom and it looks ace. Start somewhere inconspicous first but you soon get the knack of it. If you use enough pressure you leave no mess at all and the residue you scoop up with the tool can be reused if you buy a decent gun that can suck as well as blow....oh er missus.

Trust me, it's worth a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back