How to glue or attach this loose flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a small dormer with a window in my roof, and the upvc window is catching on the flashing above it which has come unglued from the timber it is supposed to be glued onto. How should I re- attach the flashing to the timber above the window? Can I just glue it or should it be screwed or nailed on? What kind of glue do I need, And does the edge need to be sealed?

Attachments

• 409532B8-1BFE-475C-BDB3-A0BA57DBE555.jpeg
    409532B8-1BFE-475C-BDB3-A0BA57DBE555.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Can you stand back and give some context to some new pics - a camera on a stick will give you a selfie.

Can you stand back and give some context to some new pics - a camera on a stick will give you a selfie
The loose flashing is along the whole top of the window. The window on the left catches on the flashing when it opens. The flashing isn’t lead, its grey but I dont know what it's made of, I don’t think it's metal

Attachments

• D4084EC5-0963-40C3-B335-0E5A891741E6.jpeg
    D4084EC5-0963-40C3-B335-0E5A891741E6.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 64
FWIW then play safe no fixings just glue it up with some cartridge construction glue and see how you get on.

Sponsored Links
FWIW then play safe no fixings just glue it up with some cartridge construction glue and see how you get on.
Do i need to seal the edge of it with silicon or is it unecessary on the top of the window?

Well this didn’t go well…. I glued the flashing up and then tried to nail some trim up to hold the flashing in place, but I couldn’t get a good angle to nail it in (leaning out of window, 50mm ring shank poly pins) so I only got a couple of nails in all the way. The other 3 or 4 I got in halfway and now I can’t hammer them any further and I can’t pull them out! Ring shanked nails really get stuck in…and the wood I’m nailing up into seems a bit bouncy… I used a couple of screws which isn't ideal I know but just to get the glue to work. Any ideas how I can get the other nails out or bang them in? Or how I should fix the flashing in place otherwise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back