How to Grout an Old Flagstone Floor

Gor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a 15th/16th century granite flagstone floor. After heavy rain water pushes up between the flags. There is no way I want to lift the floor, but I have raked out all the joints to about 50mm deep and the water is now draining well to one side where we can get it out of the building along an internal gutter.

My question is... How should I grout the flags again so that the water can still drain away under the grout? What material should I use? Gaps are anything from 2mm to 20mm wide. If possible I want something that will not draw the damp up like a wick.

One thought I had was to put an inch of salt underneath the grout - which would dissolve to leave a channel for the water to drain along - but will it just wreck the grout and leave me with a fluffy floor?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back