How to install Water and Electric utilities for an Out House.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building a granny annex/art studio in my back garden and need some advice on how to connect the Utilities (electrics and water) from the our main building to the annex, approx 20M away. The water/electric and the drainage are in two separate trenches.
I found the following videos on YT to use as a reference.

Electrics
I also found a supplier for the armoured electric cable from another thread on this forum. They cut the cable to the length I require which is great but I'm not sure which type to get. I know I need a single phase cable but how many cores? 2 core + Earth?
Please could someone help me select the correct product code and description from that site? Before I make an expensive mistake.
I prefer a cable that is future proof in case I decide to add energy guzzling appliances in the future.

Water
I been given a good length of blue pipe, pictured below, could someone please identify if this is MDPE mains water pipe that I need. What size is this cable?

Blue pipe~3.jpg

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Looks like mdpe, 2.5mm swa should be ok for that length, maybe 4mm to be on the safe side. Dig the trenches deep enough to prevent water freezing, your water board will be able to advise. Digging the trench and joining the cables etc at the house and shed ends is most of the work, so why not consult your electrician for a price, and he will advise on materials. Likewise an independent water engineer.

Blup

Looks like mdpe, 2.5mm swa should be ok for that length, maybe 4mm to be on the safe side. Dig the trenches deep enough to prevent water freezing, your water board will be able to advise. Digging the trench and joining the cables etc at the house and shed ends is most of the work, so why not consult your electrician for a price, and he will advise on materials. Likewise an independent water engineer.

Blup

Thanks for the reply Blub. Maybe I was wrong calling the building an outhouse but I intend installing electric heating and water so I feel 4mm swa is too low, I was thinking 10 - 16mm, I might install an electric hob later also. I'm building a 5m x 5m brick studio and I wont be using gas.
As for the mdpe pipe maybe it's best to take it to a plumbing supplier and confirming the size there?

2.5 is used in a house (the old ring mains) so perhaps double that at least. Itdepends what you are planning or expecting. MDPE is usually marked.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I have a workshop, bottom of garden... sparky put in 16mm SWA, it is connected to a 50amp C type breaker at the consumer unit. There is a small consumer unit in the workshop, for power and lights.

I have a workshop, bottom of garden... sparky put in 16mm SWA, it is connected to a 50amp C type breaker at the consumer unit. There is a small consumer unit in the workshop, for power and lights.
Thanks Mr Chibs, yes I've seen 16mm used I presume it was 3 core?

Yes, 3 core, it's quite a cable, like wrestling a python. o_O

Your blue pipe is 32mm MDPE I think, does it not have any markings on the side?

I've got 16mm 3-core SWA for mine. £7.99 plus var per m from TLC.

Don't forget your sign-off from building control if you're creating sleeping quarters ;)

Check, (or get your electrician to), your consumer unit, (fuse box), and your main incoming fuse, are capable of installing a new circuit and capable of carrying the proposed load, (especially if you plan to future proof it). Your electrician will be able to advise on this. No use buying/ordering what you think you need only to find out at a later date you need an upgrade at the house end.

I've got 16mm 3-core SWA for mine. £7.99 plus var per m from TLC.

Don't forget your sign-off from building control if you're creating sleeping quarters ;)
Yes agree about building control, it's an art studio for now!!!!!!!!
Wow! Your build was amazing, I will definitely bookmark the link for reference! Well done!

Last edited:
Check, (or get your electrician to), your consumer unit, (fuse box), and your main incoming fuse, are capable of installing a new circuit and capable of carrying the proposed load, (especially if you plan to future proof it). Your electrician will be able to advise on this. No use buying/ordering what you think you need only to find out at a later date you need an upgrade at the house end.
Thanks, very good point, I have a friendly neighbour who is a sparky and made him aware of my project!

Yes, 3 core, it's quite a cable, like wrestling a python. o_O

Your blue pipe is 32mm MDPE I think, does it not have any markings on the side?
Thanks Mr Chibs

I can just about make out 32mm in the 1st picture! Please see pics
Btw is it ok to fit a coupler underground between two lengths of the pipe, as the pipe I have isn't quite long enough?
20230125_122803.jpg
20230125_122841.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see why a joint is problem, I'd also use pipe inserts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back