How to isolate this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC_4474.JPG

Hi

Have a leak from the joint of valve to radiator that's started dripping a fair amount, and was going to isolate the radiator before getting an engineer to sort it next week when they come to service the boiler.

However the end where I thought there would be a lockshield with the flat head to turn has this valve - anyone know how best to isolate it - it's sort of rounder or oval, with a thread in the centre of it. I've browsed around but can't see any other like it.

DSC_4474.JPG

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a standard radiator valve - just use a pair of grips or an adjustable wrench on the flats and turn clockwise to close

Thanks - I just wanted to double check - now done that. I presume now I've shut the TRV at one end off and now this one that the flow through is stopped? And any dripping water from the radiator side of the valve will be from the radiator contents only.

Providing the leak is on the rad side and the TRV is fully closed (use a decorators cap to be sure) then the leak will be limited to the rad contents at max.

Sponsored Links
Let your RGI know that you wish him to repair it - before he arrives

It looks like the leak is coming from the nut underneath the valve, so try tightening it a fraction and see if that stops it. make sure you have a pair of grips on the valve just to make sure it doesn't twist as you tighten the nut.

Yes it appears that's where the leak is from (the rad was removed and flushed last year when we had the boiler replaced) so may have just come a bit loose. I might try tightening that nut or just leave it till the service.
Thanks all - appreciate the responses.

A boiler service does not include repairing leaking radiator valves or radiators or anything else outwith the boiler casing for that matter

Thanks - yes I was planning to contact the company and just ask them to let him know it needs looking at and to add on any extra charge accordingly (I think it's actually the nut to the left that is where it is dripping from, the rusty bit is old and has been that way since we moved in) so hopefully that just needs tightening. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back