how to kill weeds before new turf is laid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden is currently being totally landscaped. Unfortunately our garden dictates to us as it is very sloped with several different un even levels. I will try and explain what is being done.

The bottom part of the garden has been dug out and the soil from here has been spread out over parts of the top half to try and level it all out. The bottom part is not a problem as it is clean and will be re turfed at the end of the project. The problem I now forsee is the top part which is now in x2 distinct very differently prepared areas.

1) Area 1 is where the soil taken from the bottom has been spread. Most of this soil that has been spread over the top is very heavy clay. It has been mixed with sand to try and break it down. A roller will be run over it on Saturday then 5 inches of top soil is due to cover this whole area next week. From it's original level, there will be in excess of 12 inches of "clay soil"/top soil laid before the turf goes down on top of it the following week. Will this be sufficient to prevent any weeds coming through that may still be lurking??

2) Area 2 is higher so has not needed the layer of soil/clay to be spread. The plan is to just lay approx 5 inches of top soil over it all. The grass that's there at the moment is very unhealthy and there is actually probably more weeds/moss than grass on it. So my second question then is whether or not I should use some really strong weedkiller (sodium chlorate) to kill the weeds. Because you can't plant anything for 6 months after using SC, will it kill my new turf (bearing in mind there will be 5 inches of top soil between the SC and the turf)? Soil is due to be spread next week, turf the week after.

I would be very grateful for any advice. Are we saving up for more weeds in the future through our new turf or will they suffocate and die??. I'm concered that particularly in Area 2, the fresh new top soil will just help nurture the weeds that are there at the moment!!

Many thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to read and reply.

Sponsored Links
It depends what weeds really, only very tough weeds will come through that much. Brambles and marestail being the main culprits.

Don't use sodium chlorate not only is it now illegal but has never been designed for use on land intended to bear vegetation such as a lawn.

People get obsessed with using 'STRONG' weedkiller when in reality it is rarely more effective than a well measured dose of round-up. Only very invasive plants will not respond to round-up or other glyphosates.

I had no idea SC was now illegal. I'm sure we only bought it last year. Oh well.
The weeds are mostly dandelions and such like, plus a few bluebells that have somehow found their way there - nothing too stubborn. Thank you for the reply, I'll do as you suggest tomorrow and use something like roundup.

I had no idea SC was now illegal. I'm sure we only bought it last year. Oh well.
The weeds are mostly dandelions and such like, plus a few bluebells that have somehow found their way there - nothing too stubborn. Thank you for the reply, I'll do as you suggest tomorrow and use something like roundup.

Its restricted due to its easy conversion to explosives.

Sponsored Links
It license as a pesticide was revoked a couple of years back and then the mandatory use up period where you can still use it's illegal to sell it expired in late 2010 i think.

Didn't know anything about explosives

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back