How to move a summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'll try to be brief.
We recently erected a summer house on concrete slabs. The person who did that job did not feel the need to use cement and now the slabs are sinking a bit and the summer house appears as if it were sitting on a slope.
In order to fix this we need to move the house (8'x8') to another location so the base can be cemented.
The question is : how to go about it?
A forklift truck is out of the question as the back garden does not grant access to anything that big.
Thanking you in advance.
Cheers
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
As you say it's 8" by 8", I'd be inclined to pick it up and maybe get one of the kids to hold it for 10 minutes ;)

Seriously though, being a summer house I'd assume a fair bit of glass. It's going to be hard to move it without flexing it somewhere and some (or all!) of your glass breaking.

If it's (hopefully) screwed together rather than nailed, would it be an overly hard job to dismantle it?

The flexing would as pointed out be the problem. I moved a shed 8'x6' about hundred feet or so in the garden when I moved in by myself using scafold poles as rollers ( think Cecil B Demiles type of epic film!). Started by levering the shed up a little to put in the first pole then a little more and finally just pushed the whole thing, just remember to take the rearmost poles to the front before the front digs into the ground. It's easier if there is more than one of you to state the obvious.

Thank you both for your advice.
@Keefersuk: Dismantling is not an option.
@Ladylola: The Pyramid/Egyptian technique is indeed a good idea but I'm not too sure where to find the gear I will need or indeed what gear I will need. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry I've not replied earlier it's a combination of being away and having a computer fault.
Gear wise , anything round will do the job as long as it is longer than the width of the shed . This stops it falling off the rollers and allows you to keep moving them with ease.
I would recomend using some planks as a "path " for the rollers to run on, stops them sinking into the ground and makes the whole job a lot easier.
As to where you can get every thing you need, hire shops could help, or ask a scaffolder to lend a few poles and boards for a drink, round fence posts would work as would plastic drainage pipes, try looking in skips or try freecycle.Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back