How to prepare glass for picture frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question is tangentially related to carpentry... I would like to make a picture frame and sure, I could cut the protective insert from a plastic, but what if I wanted to use glass? How do picture-frame makers cut glass to size? None of the guides I've found online go detail here, and most don't even mention it.

Sponsored Links
Measure the size of the rebate the glass is going to sit in. Deduct 3-4mm of length and width. Cut glass to this size. Hey presto!!! The glass fits in the rebate.
Simples. ;) ;) ;) ;)

:/ It's the 'cut glass to size' bit that I'm looking for information on. How do I do this safely and cheaply without chipping, scratching, breaking or otherwise damaging the glass?

Sponsored Links
:/ It's the 'cut glass to size' bit that I'm looking for information on. How do I do this safely and cheaply without chipping, scratching, breaking or otherwise damaging the glass?

Buy a good quality glasscutter and a sheet of glass. Measure your glass carefully. Use a ruler or straight edge, Run the glasscutter once, Break glass along cut (either over the edge of a bench or by putting a matchstick under both ends of the cut line and pressing down.
Simples.

;) ;) ;)

Alternatively.. Measure rebate in picture frame, deduct 3-4mm. Write measurements down on a piece of paper. Go to glass merchants. Give sizes to the assistant and ask for a piece of glass this size please. Pay your money. Return home with piece of glass. Place in frame.
Extremely Simples ;) ;)

Just in case this is a wind up. Buy hammer, (20oz). Buy glass. Mark size on glass. Tap carefully to chip away glass till it's the correct size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back