How to quickly fix burst pipe imperial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help :evil: I have a burst water pipe in the garage, nipped to the builders merchants for some push fit end stops (couldn't find my emergency spares) sawed the pipe off at the split only to find that it is imperial and the push fits, won't fit :oops: . Result very flooded garage lots of electrical tools soaking. Managed to get the fitting on enough to stem the leak , but will have to do a proper repair tomorrow. What should I use? Have to do this live as it is fed before the house stop tap.

Sponsored Links
You could use compressions with inperial olives,are you on a water meter?? there should be a mains turn off on your property or near your boundary

If its 1/2'', use 15mm compression. No need for special olives.

If 3/4'', use 22mm compression fittings with 3/4'' olives instead of the 22mm ones supplied.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replys. I'm not on a water meter so it won't be costing me a fortune. Left the nearby tap dripping to stop a reoccurance. I have some Yorkshire fittings and some random compression fittings but the olives don't fit and the pipe is too big to go into the yorkshire fittings. I had a similar problem in my old house. Ended up using emry cloth to get the fittings on but that would be difficult in this case. Will try and get some imperial olives tomorrow.

if youve cut it off at the split you will find the pipe will have expanded before it split and thats why it seems to big for your fittings , you need to cut it back a few inches to a good bit of pipe ether side of split and put short piece in . may be a good time to put a stop tap on pipe . also imperial is smaller diam than metric . so once its cut back to good bit of pipe the metric fittings will fit . buy a compression stop tap and a cheap pipe cutters, roughly couple a hose to outlet of stop tap, open stop tap, cut pipe and quickly put stop tap on and tighten up most of pressure will go down hose to garden . or turn off on pavement .

Hi Youth, thanks for the reply. Typical, there is a stop tap where the pipe enters the garage at floor level but it is stuck. I too thought that the pipe might have expanded so I did cut it back further up the pipe again but with the same result. I have tried to fit the fittings that I have to the off cuts with the same result, pipe too big. I could easily be wrong but I did think that imperial pipe OD was larger than 15mm. My understanding was that imperial was ½" ID where metric is 15mm OD. I remember fitting some new radiator valves in my old house and having to emery cloth the pipes until I could get the new valves to fit. I will have a better look tomorrow, that's if it holds up tonight though. Not a lot I can do now.

Hi Youth, thanks for the reply. Typical, there is a stop tap where the pipe enters the garage at floor level but it is stuck. I too thought that the pipe might have expanded so I did cut it back further up the pipe again but with the same result. I have tried to fit the fittings that I have to the off cuts with the same result, pipe too big. I could easily be wrong but I did think that imperial pipe OD was larger than 15mm. My understanding was that imperial was ½" ID where metric is 15mm OD. I remember fitting some new radiator valves in my old house and having to emery cloth the pipes until I could get the new valves to fit. I will have a better look tomorrow, that's if it holds up tonight though. Not a lot I can do now.

Try squriting the stop tap with a bit of WD, unspin the stuffing box and give the spindle a good dose. In the morning try gently rocking the valve backwards and forwards and there is every chance it will free off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back