how to re-move cast iron radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 14 cast iron radiators over three levels (ground, 1st, 2nd floor) in my house, in different sizes.

My rough estimation is that some of them are 130 pounds, some 160 pounds, some a bit heavier around 200 pounds and there is a big one in 2nd floor about 400 pounds.

I am planning to get a plumper to disconnect them. Then I want to get them to a company for sandblasting and powder-coating.

Any ideas how to move these heavy radiators from the house to a van?

Sponsored Links
Usually them radiators came in much smaller sections and are bolted together in the room they are to be installed in,once assembled they need careful handling to preserve the seals. They have a tendency to bend causing seal damage if not carried correctly https://www.castironradiatorcentre.co.uk/products.asp?page=handlingcastironradiators

Any ideas how to move these heavy radiators from the house to a van?
Blood,sweat & tears Come to mind. you need a few burly chaps to shift them,not gym bunnies :cry:.

If you can get a tool to separate the sections they'll be really easy to carry out ;)

As H&C says, you run the very real risk of damaging the seals between the sections if you move them around. Between getting them out of the house, transporting them, refinishing them, transporting them again and getting them back into the house, I'd be very surprised if they didn't spring a leak, at which point you'll need to dismantle them anyway and risk damaging your new finish in the process.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back