how to reach this with a ladder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to paint the exterior of timber window frame, if you look on the picture, the windows are built onto the roof.

my ladder will reach, just need to some advice on the best angle i can place it.

In the picture the roof is slightly more slanted than it looks (im guessing due to the camera angle).

Ive drawn two lines, one on the left, would have the top of the ladder leaning up against the bottom of the window frame, and the rest of the ladder clearing the roof tiles and guttering, this will mean that the ladder will be at quite an angle.

The line on the right show if the ladder was running flat with the roof tiles, and will will be at more of a steeper angle, i have supports at the bottom of ladder so thats no issue.

Much help appriciated.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Could you not take the outer windows out (I presume they are hinged), paint them at ground level and when they are drying you paint the middle window and frame from inside?

Sponsored Links
The stand off would help rested on the tiles, will help to spread the weight of the head of the ladder. Plus the ladder needs tying off about 3/4 feet from the bottom, drill, plug the wall of the porch and fix good quality screw eyes for tying off, the drill holes can be filled when the job is finished
do not over reach

eye-lag-bent-wire.gif

Again, thanks for replies.

I kind of need the opposite to a stand off, if I was to lean the ladder against the guttering I would be too far away from the window, if I had the ladder at the same angle as the tiles the ladder will be too slanted.

Or do u mean use the stand off against the windows? That might work

If you can securely fix a board to span across the window frame you could lean against that, but that stops access to paint.
I would have thought that the stand off resting against the tiles below the sill with the ladder extending a couple of rungs above the stand off would work.

I would have thought that the stand off resting against the tiles below the sill with the ladder extending a couple of rungs above the stand off would work.

Thats how I have done it in the past for customers. Plus you can get a stand off board or make one up out of a bit of ply, it sits on the Standoff giving you somewhere to put tools etc.
A ladder "stopper" is also very useful at the bottom of the ladder, in addition to tying off.

stopper_thumb.jpg

You need a stand-off fitted on the lower rungs of the ladder so the top bit keeps going. I do it all the time.

What we mean is, you do not fit the stand off to the top rung, you fit it two or three rungs down so you have some ladder extending above the stand off to brace yourself against.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back