How to reduce energy costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is relevant to anyone on here, but does anyone know what I can do about sky high energy bills in my apartment, q00% electric, and it's just a 1 bedroom (occupied by 2 people), barely use the heating, have 2 showers max per day. But bills are £160 per month.

Could there be something using up energy I don't know about? A power surge? Or a slow running hot water leak? Would be good to know common issues here so i can get thr correct contractor in the investigate.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The amount you pay is not informative. Look at the meter readings and tell us how many kWh you are using. Start looking at it daily and buy a diary to write the readings in.

Annual is a start, but by month is much better.

I suppose you have no gas available? (Energy from electricity costs 4 or 5 times as much)

How old is your home? How is it insulated and draughtproofed?

How to you heat it, and what timers and thermostats do you use?

Do you use an electric shower? How many minutes a day? Do you have a hot water cylinder? What colour?

How do you dry your washing?

Hum. You may be paying £160 per month but

Is your account in debit or credit?
Have you historic bills and readings?
Are your bills estimates or actual readings?

Take readings weekly from now on

We have a 4 bed detached , 4 adults, with PV and a wood burner and our supplier wants £146 from us

Sponsored Links
I'm also wondering...

What tariff are you on? What form of electrical heating does it have?

Fridge? Freezer? Washing-machine? Tumble-dryer? Oven? Hob? TV? Computer? Lights? It all adds up.

Fridge? Freezer? Washing-machine? Tumble-dryer? Oven? Hob? TV? Computer? Lights? It all adds up.
None of them use as much energy as heating and hot water, though older driers use quite a bit.

Read your meter daily, any trends showing?
Turn off the electric at your consumer unit, check everything is now off. Look at your lecky meter that supplies your apartment, check that is now showing NIL usage. If it isn't who is using it? If it is nil usage then it is your apartment.
Leave your power still switched off for several hours, anyone complaining their power has failed !!

No answer from the OP, I think they’ve worked out the answer: turn the electricity off

Sponsored Links
Back