how to refill an open vent system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i've got an open vent system and i had to drain it down,now i've tried to refill the system a few times but the boiler comes up with a dry fire error,i've tried bleeding the rads,pump,slow fill fast fill,

now i'm stuck

Sponsored Links
blocked cold feed?
what do you mean by slow fill fast fill

i did a slow fill and then tried a fast fill with the stop tap at the header tank(in the loft),just to try to stop air getting in the system

i did a slow fill and then tried a fast fill with the stop tap at the header tank
from this, it sounds as though your f&e tank emptied when you drained down, is that correct?
When you drained did you set any mv's on man?
Did you open the bleeds on the upstairs rads whilst draining?

Sponsored Links
yes the f&e tank emptied when i drained it down,with the mv on manual,but i did not open any upstairs rad valves,just tried filling the system backwards with a hose pipe though the stop cock valve on the downstairs rad,until water came out of the over flow from the f&e tank.but the boiler still says dry fire
thanks andrew

I would turn on the water to f&e tank and let the system fill, until it stops running. Then, wtith mv's still on man, bleed the rads, starting downstairs, once all the down is bled do the upstairs ones. then turn the boiler stat off and the CH on for a while to see if any air is pushed out.

Had the same problem once and discovered that the boiler needed priming - may be the same for you.

thanks for the replys

i dont know how to turn the boiler stat off ? baxi 100/2 he

there is a drain point next to the heat exchanger to enable the heat exchanger to be drained,do i prime the boiler from that ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back