How to remove moulding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

How can I remover the moulding in the pic attached? To take away from the black line upward.

Thanks

bed.jpg

Sponsored Links
Mark out with a square, cut with a hand saw (fine tooth tenon saw us best), sand to finish. Ideally you want to get the bed on its' side to make the cut, knife the cut line (to sever the fibres and reduce spelching) and remember to saw on the waste side of the cut line

BTW, that is a turned end on a post rather than an applied moulding - hence the need to saw

I am not that good with hand saws, can I use recip saw?

I am not that good with hand saws, can I use recip saw?
Yes, if you want to make an absolutely carp job of it. Recip saws are great for cutting out old joists or removing an old door casing, but are very inaccurate demolition tools and simply can't do a job like this cleanly. Do you not have a circular saw and a speed square? Might be a bit more awkward than a hand saw but at least it will cut square. If needs be you can make up a simple plywood squaring guide yourself for the saw

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you want to make an absolutely carp job of it. Recip saws are great for cutting out old joists or removing an old door casing, but are very inaccurate demolition tools and simply can't do a job like this cleanly. Do you not have a circular saw and a speed square? Might be a bit more awkward than a hand saw but at least it will cut square. If needs be you can make up a simple plywood squaring guide yourself for the saw
Never used recip saw, thanks for the advise, defo need perfect square cut. I will have a go with a hand saw.

If you could borrow a circular saw, you could make up a squaring guide to go with it from a piece of 2 x 1 planed lath and a bit of 18mm plywood like this:

Square Guide for Saw.jpg

You start by making a trim cut first. The edge of the saw base plate is run against the further edge of the plywood (dark brown) and trims the softwood lath. Then when the guide is offered up to the work the trimmed lath tells you exactly where the cut line will be. Obviously before making any cuts you need to ensure that the saw blade is square to the base late (don't depend on the numbers stamped into the quadrant - they are only a rough guide on many saws), and you do need to make the jig dead square (so you need a square, which you'll need in any case if you are going to make a hand sawn cut)

BTW, don't get me wrong about recip saws, they have their uses and without my Milwaukee I'd struggle at times, but they are really quite limited, Good for doing heavy pruning as well as carpentry, too

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back