How to remove mouldings on wood fireplace surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm wanting to update a wood mantelpiece & want to remove the fancy mouldings on the front it. Does anyone know how I can do this please? The only way I can think of is to take a chisel & try to prise them off, but think it might take chunks of the wood out. They are firmly fixed to the mantel, probably by industrial glue! Any advice is very welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
15089448088251111086872.jpg I's about 20yrs old, put it when house was built.

Sponsored Links
Something like a multitool might do it?
The type that has a vibrating plate - if you have enough room to slip it in to start?
I have a feeling that you may have a task though.
Try a wide chisel as they may have been light on the glue

Assuming that the mouldings aren't that well adhered, a decent sized sharp chisel, say 1-1/4in (32mm) or 1-1/2in (38mm) wide applied to the surface of the timber with the bevel down and tapped smartly with a mallet or a hammer (providing it is a plastic-handled chisel) is often efficacious in removing applied mouldings

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. It seems that chiselling it off is the main option, so I'll try that & have a tin of wood filler handy as well. Then sand it down & paint the mantel white. Thanks again.

A flat crowbar is good for prising things off, like skirting etc.

Hi I'm wanting to update a wood mantelpiece & want to remove the fancy mouldings on the front it. Does anyone know how I can do this please? The only way I can think of is to take a chisel & try to prise them off, but think it might take chunks of the wood out. They are firmly fixed to the mantel, probably by industrial glue! Any advice is very welcome. Thanks.

Hi Sharona - I'm wanting to do exactly the same thing. Did you have any luck getting them off and if so how did you manage it in the end? Thanks.

Hi Sharona - I'm wanting to do exactly the same thing. Did you have any luck getting them off and if so how did you manage it in the end? Thanks.

As Sharona has only posted a total of 3 times he/she is unlikely to see your reply.
You could try the methods mentioned above but consider carefully before you start what you may feel if they don't work.

With anything like that, it's often a case of experimenting with the lightest touch first- work up to heavier stuff if you need to

I did mine today I took the middle flower moulding off ant the two outer ones under the mantle they came of with a good hammer and chisel, hubby hasn't seen iv done it as yet.......haha!
IMG_20200530_150600.jpg
IMG-20200530-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20200530-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20200530-WA0020.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20200530-WA0022.jpeg
    IMG-20200530-WA0022.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 267

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back