Fireplace surround for wood burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had my chimney lined, so it's ready for a wood burner, however, I'd like some advice on the fire surround please.

I know that there are rules about the distance to combustible materials and since I'd like a wooden surround/mantel, I need to set the surround back from the builder's opening.
Also, the mantel would be far too low, if the surround was fitted directly around the builder's opening.

My question is, what do I fit between the builder's opening and the surround, so that it doesn't look odd?

The builder's opening is 715mm wide by 800mm high.
I would want the top of the mantel to be at about 120mm.

This is a Victorian house, so whatever I do has to look right, but doesn't necessarily need to be of the same period.

I'm only planning to paint the inside of the fireplace black, not to tile it or anything.

I'll try to upload a photo.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You would normally use a panel of slate,marble,granite or tiles - matching a hearth

I'm not sure if it will help or not, but my brother in law had problems with the plaster around the opening cracking & falling off when he had a wood burner installed in a situation similar to yours. I think you might be advised to line the opening with some sort of heat proof material, it appears these burners give off a tremendous amount of heat through the top & sides as well as the front.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

There is a register plate above where the stove will sit, so that's okay, but from what you both say, I'll need to add some form of wall covering within the recess and between the opening and the surround.
I was hoping to avoid adding anything in the reces, because the opening isn't that big anyway.

However, if it's necessary, I'll do it.
Slate would match the existing hearth, but I don't think tiles would look right.

Can anyone suggest where I can get pieces of slate made up for this purpose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back