hanging a mantelpiece

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about to start decorating the bruvs living room as wedding present and am thinking about hanging a mantelpiece

he has a stone chimney breast and fireplace with no surround. the stones are extremely large and i thought a chunky length of wood with a fairly square profile would look good (eg. a recycled joist).

thing is how to hang it to the wall - particularly keen to have "invisible" fixings but obviously the wood would be pretty heavy in this case so the fixings would need to be strong and durable

so, can anyone suggest suitable fittings

TIA

Anna

Sponsored Links
Can't help with the fixing, but in my previous house I used a 2-inch thick slice of ash sawn lengthways, cut square for the wall and leaving the natural profile on the front, and supported it with reclaimed victorian cast-iron shelf brackets. Worked well!

you could use steel rod fixed into the stonework and then fixed into the timber with corresponding holes.

Would have though a strong adhesive would keep it secure, although not sure how much weight it would take with angle supports underneath

Sponsored Links
stevenrafferty said:
you could use steel rod fixed into the stonework and then fixed into the timber with corresponding holes.

Would have though a strong adhesive would keep it secure, although not sure how much weight it would take with angle supports underneath

Thats exactly how I fixed some rather large shelves recently:

shelves2.jpg

Those have 2 rods in each one, the rods in the wall are almost one brick width deep.

I'd imagine on a mantlepiece you'd need 5-6 rods, its quite hard work, but if you angle each rod very very slightly off-straight that alone makes them bloody hard to remove once its on the wall (you'll need to hammer it home)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back