stove fitting in a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old 1896 terraced house and am finally in a position to get some work done on it (after owning it for ten years!) I want to have a stove fitted into my chimney breast.

I have a few questions to ask prior to some quote visits...

1. Can I have the fire opened up quite high? I want as much heat as possible to come out into the room rather than up the chimney.

2. Will it be possible to then have a stone lintel put in and will that be enough to hold the weight of the chimney breast up through the house?

3. having removed some shelves, and the wooden mantelpiece, the brickwork behind (ie the actual chimney breast) looks in dire need of repointing or at least filling in gaps...there are some gaps that looked like they've been filled in with wood though it all looks pretty ancient...at the time of the build it would have had a small kitchen range in the fireplace, though all of that was removed years ago... (we found a lot of the old stone buried in the garden at the back) the house is in yorkshire and so is stone brick rather than clay brick...What is the usual practice in these situations?

4. the walls in the alcoves also seem to be plasterboard rather than brick..if I have a stove fitted, will these also have to be removed? if so, what kind of costs am I looking at?

hope some of you can advise me..

Thanks x

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, its more work for you.
2. Builders like to use a concrete lintel as the structural element with the decorative limestone one in front .
In a house this old, it is likely that there was a range fitted, so the original hole would have been made narrower and much lower. It could be interesting taking off more plaster.
You say "stone bricks", do you mean limestone blocks?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back