How to Hang a very heavy mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very heavy chunky wooden framed mirror I'd like to hang on a plastered brick chimney breast.

What would be the best way? It must weight about 30kg.

I was thinking anchor bolts.

Problem is, there is me recess or hooks or anything on the back of the mirror. My idea was to put 2 anchor bolts in the wall and have them protruding approx 2cm out. I'd then drill two recesses into the mirror so the bolt heads would locate into these recesses to prevent the mirror slipping off.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
do you have any pictures off the mirror
30kg is very very heavy
need to know the makeup off the mirror and frame to suggest fixings that are visually and strength wise correct

ok reading your reply further you say 2 holes drilled in the frame for support screws
30 kg is around 70 lbs or 30 bags off sugar or half an adult are you sure its that heavy

Just use standard fixing clips and and 2" 10s. It'll never fall off.

Sponsored Links
if its a mass produced mirror with 2 fixing points then it will be fine as joe says 10x2" or 5mmx50mm screws

not happy to suggest hidden fixings as the frame is made from 16 separate bits off wood and a back panel with what looks like only 4 screws holding it all together

there may be further fixings covered over i cant tell
if you hold the top off the frame and one side rock the top bit back and the side bit forward how much play is in the join between them

Hi,

There is no play at all, the mirror is extremely rigid. There is a gap of about 5mm between the inner most pieces of wood, but as said, no play at all!

We have a little child so want to make sure it is securely on the wall and cannot be knocked off accidently!

Thanks,

Nick.

because its so heavy and because i dont know how strong it is linked to kids and glass

i would only be happy to suggest 2 fixings to the bottom and one each side near the top
in this configuration the bottom of the mirror is fully supported and the top off the sides
its not as semetrical as 4 at the sides where the weight could drop the mirror
or 2 top and bottom where the sides may work loose allowing the bottom to tip forward and collapse

if you are happy to drill holes through and fix then the top and bottom will work because even if the sides come loose or fall off the the mirror is fully supported top and bottom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back