Help with fixings for heavy painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large glass painting (the glass is the medium on which the painting has been done) in a wooden frame, that weighs about 25kg. It has a large wire on the back, so would require two screws/hooks at either side to hang it on.

I'd like to hang it on a wall in my living room. The wall is the external wall of the house, so behind the studded wall, is brick.

What fixings would you guys recommend, that would guarantee the painting isn't going to fall off and shatter!?

I thought I could use something like these heavy duty wall plugs hammered a little way into the brick behind the wall ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-fx-nylon-wall-plugs-5-x-50mm-100-pack/4485g ) but I'm having difficulty finding the correct diameter thread hook screws for them?

The alternative is maybe something like these hook screw anchor bolts ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-Threa...243848?hash=item54310dd888:g:xrwAAOSwvg9XY9Go ) - though I'm not quite sure how anchor bolts work?

Any suggestions?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Are there conveniently-located wooden studs? If you can drill into those it is easy.

Last edited:
I'm not confident that there is a stud behind behind where both screws would go. Maybe one could go into a stud, but the other would be between studs. We installed a TV bracket (65 inch TV) on the opposite wall, and ended up using the above rawl plugs hammered into the brick a bit for extra support, that has worked perfectly.

However, we used appropriate sized screws for that, but I need something on the head of the screw to hang the wires onto - so I think a hook is going to be the best option, but can't seem to find hook screws big enough?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I may just have to use a long screw with a washer pushed up towards the head, to give more space for the wires to sit against. Thanks for your help.

YOu can get quite long vine eyes, e.g. 150mm. They could be modified into hooks.

Vine eyes and screw hooks are available in quite big sizes. I think the ones I use are 75mm (3 inch) shaft.

They are used for supporting climbing or rambling plants, which can be quite heavy when loaded with fruit. Ebay is a good source but some gardening places have a small range.

edit

too slow!

View media item 97955

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back