Fixing to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a unit, which hooks onto metal plates that you fix to the wall.

Im fixing 2 of these plates to the wall one for each side of the unit to hook onto. Problem is, the holes in the plates are quite close together, 1.5/2 inches between them. As its a heavy unit i wanted to use wall anchors but ive realised because they spread out behind the plasterboard i wont be able to use 2.

Is there any way i can use an anchor on one screw and some other type of plasterboard fixing which doesent open out behind the board as the other screw?

If so which is the best type that wont require space behind the plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
My attitude to fixing to plasterboard is always "f*** you, plasterboard, you're no use to me" then I drill into the masonry behind it and use really long screws.

My attitude to fixing to plasterboard is always "f*** you, plasterboard, you're no use to me" then I drill into the masonry behind it and use really long screws.
Its plasterboard behind it its just a dividing wall

Sponsored Links
It cuts its own hole. You might consider drilling a 5mm pilot hole for extra neatness and precision.

It occurs to me that you might be able to fit two of the two-armed spring fittings if you can align their arms carefully as you insert them.

is it these types of bracket, if so you can buy it as a rail , which would allow you to span between studs.
I wouldn't place two spirals or toggles that close together, they wont be held to much.
What are the dimensions of the cabinet and a rough loaded weight, rawlplug unos may do the job, 18kg for an 8mm uno.
Alternatively cut a strip out of the plasterboard to take a batten between studs, hang your brackets and then repair over the batten with filler for any that shows either side of the cabinet.

is it these types of bracket, if so you can buy it as a rail , which would allow you to span between studs.
I wouldn't place two spirals or toggles that close together, they wont be held to much.
What are the dimensions of the cabinet and a rough loaded weight, rawlplug unos may do the job, 18kg for an 8mm uno.
Alternatively cut a strip out of the plasterboard to take a batten between studs, hang your brackets and then repair over the batten with filler for any that shows either side of the cabinet.
Thats the bracket yes, using a rail will be perfect your a saviour, do they sell the rails in bnq/screwfix though?

to be honest I don't think so. I've always got them off the net

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back