Hollow wall anchor fitting through tiled plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a small towel rad to fit on to a hollow plasterboard wall which has been tiled.

the thickness of the wall including tile/adhesive and plasterboard must be around 18-20mm.

I wanted to use hollow wall anchors as these seem like the strongest type and are reusable. however the small teeth on the back of the collar of the wall anchor obviously wont dig into the hard tile face like they normally would on plasterboard so the fixing wont have anything to grip against when tightening it up.

have any of you guys used hollow wall anchors in this kind of situation and how did you manage to fit them?

i was thinking i could potentially counter bore the tile just a bit bigger the than the collar diameter so the fitting sits inside the tile but mounts against the face of the plasterboard.

any other ideas or fixing suggestions that could be used?

Sponsored Links
Looks good mate.

I did consider standard plugs of some sort but had a few doubts...

1. because they expand and could crack a tile
2. Because there not holding onto the back of the wall so could pull out. ( not as worried about this as my towel rail is pretty small/light)

Sponsored Links
The back expands, behind the plasterboard, not the front.Tiles don’t crack unless you use incorrect size screw or plug .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back