Fixing shower screen to bathroom wall advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix a shower screen to a wall in out bathroom but not sure what i need to use in respect of fixing screws etc.
The wall is what i think you call studded ? then tiles on top.
Looking in toolstation or b & q etc i can see self drilling plasterboard anchors but these wont be suitable to pass through the tiles.
I have also seen hollow wall anchors but still no good becuase of the tiles.
Can you advise what i need to use so it will pass through the tiles "7mm thick" then through the plaster board.
With the screen resting on the edge of the bath when in use is fine but i assume when the screen is rotated say 90 degrees in order to clean it etc then all the weight is on the fixing screws.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
You need a tile drill bit, to make the hole.
Then if the wall is a stud wall and your not hitting the stud work, you may get away with hollow wall anchors or even the spring toggle type.
But tiles need holing first, to a suitable size to take them.
You need to place some insulation tape where the hole is going to be, mark it up, then using the tile drill bit, you need to have a soft action on the drill , so rotary but not on hammer. Slow speed so the drill don't dart about, once the drill has taken in to the tile, you can speed it up a bit, but still take your time or you will damage the tile.

I hate to say it...but..silicone.

I've replaced some damaged shower screens on the type of wall you describe and they siliconed the shower screen rail on the tiles...with screws as well.

.....and they were an absolute crunt to get off, even cutting the silicone with a knife.

Ended up having to pull them off with brute force, cracking the tiles, even breaking the plasterboard underneath.

Made a simple job into a right nightmare.

Was a croudace nearly new home btw.

Sponsored Links
Standard masonry drill will be suitable for 99% of wall tiles, then a standard wall plug and a stainless steel screw, silicon behind the back before fitting the wall section especially around the base where most leaks occur.There is enough depth for plenty of grip screwing thru tile and plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back