Fixing shower screen to tiled plasterboard metal stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having some issues trying to fix my new shower screen to the wall. The wall is a tiled plasterboard wall, with a metal stud behind it. It is 32mm thick in total, being approx:

10mm tile --- 20mm plasterboard --- 2mm metal stud

I've looked at:

- solid wall plugs - don't think these would work in the plasterboard as it's not deep enough

- rawlplug spring toggles - too wide (would need to drill a 11mm hole) and wouldn't open because of the metal stud 30mm in

- poly-toggles, can't find any long enough to fix through the wall (all too short to open behind the metal stud)

- wall plugs for cavity walls - again because the metal stud is ~30mm deep, don't think these would be able to open properly

Any ideas what else I could use / would any of the above work?

Ideally the screw needs to be 4mm otherwise will need to widen the holes in the shower screen wall rail.

Thanks,
Roger

Sponsored Links
You can either drill the tiles to metal and then use self tappers into metal or once thru the tile drill the metal as well with same size hss bit and use standar plugs will give very secure fixing either way.Standard plugs are fine in just tile and plasterboard the metal will just give extra purchase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back