Is Ply a viable option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Probably this is a common question but i couldn't easily find the answer.

Shower being built in corner of two stud walls.
Studding doesn't line up with chosen shower size for a secure fixing for the glass support track.

I "was" going to put green plasterboard for the walls and tile over. However i am not happy about the shower screen and doors being supported only in the plasterboard.

So options might be:
take out insulation (loft conversion shower room) and add more studs and noggins where screen "might" go (may change shower size at some point)
or
Sheet with 12mm marine ply instead

I am assuming that other types of backing boards (marmox, hardi etc) will also not be structural for fixings ( I also have not planned to use )

So as i have other small bathroom back to wall units to add in this room, would the ply be a better (more expensive) option or will it cause me issues with tiling and movement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ply is a poor choice for tiling over. Plasterboard is not desirable for a shower area either, regardless of it being the green type or not. It all disintegrates when wet, the 'moisture resistant' type just takes a bit longer to fall apart.

If additional strength for fixings is required, fix 18mm ply between the studs where items will be fixed, so the ply is flush with the front of the studs.
Do the walls in the shower area with cement board, others can be plasterboard.
Any fixings can then go through the tiles and cement board and into the ply behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back