Hollow wall fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What hollow wall fixings do you recommended for a loft room shower room ?

The walls are plasterboard stud walls with cavity insulation. These have been tiled with porcelain tiles. I’m guessing that the depth from the front of the tiles to back of plasterboard is now probably around 25- 30mm.

I need to use fixings suitable for heavy objects - large towel radiator, bathroom cabinet, shower enclosure, toilet cistern etc.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The walls are plasterboard stud walls with cavity insulation. These have been tiled with porcelain tiles. I’m guessing that the depth from the front of the tiles to back of plasterboard is now probably around 25- 30mm.
For heavy items you should really have installed plywood or OSB patresses between the studs (benesthbthe PB) where your heavy objects were to be installed, e.g.shower head, shower valve, electric shower, bathroom cabinet, WC cistern, towel rail, etc. What thickness is the PB and have you used any form of backer board (e.g. cement fibre board) or have you used moisture resistant for(blue/green) PB?

It may be safest to try to get as much as possible fixed into studwork, but some items such as WC cisterns, shower enclosures, etc may be just too heavy for plasterboard fixings of any type

I think the plasterboard is 10-12mm thick.

One wall is the dividing wall to the loft bedroom. This is regular plasterboard.
Maybe I could add some 4x2” noggins from the bedroom side. The bathroom cabinet, basin and towel rail will be hung on this wall.

The second wall is the external wall facing the garden. This has a blue /green plasterboard. The shower enclosure will be fitted on this wall.

The final wall is side wall , made of blocks, then covered with 2 inch thick insulation and finished with plasterboard (I think. The builders did use moister resistant PB in the corner where the shower enclosure will go.
The toilet will be fitted here. So actually I could you use 4 inch screws on this wall?

For the heavier stuff you really do need to get a fix into something solid - drywall fixings into plasterboard won't hold a WC cistern or anything like a shower screen or door. I'm really surprised that your builders didn't understand this and incorporate pattresses inside the walls

Sponsored Links
Where you can cut put a piece of PB and install a pattress, I'd do that. Cut out neatly and you should be able to install some softwood cleats refix the PB, scrim it (self-adhesive scrim tape, 4in jointing knife), fill the gaps and sand it.

As you say, long screws through your u
Insulation where you can - if you go to a 6.0mm screw size you can get 120 and 150mm long screws if needed andcthey go into the same brown plugs (6mm hole) as 5.0mm screws.

If you absolutely need to fix into PB then you'll need a nylon plug such as the Fischer Duopower plugs, etc. Timco also do a plug called a STRED which will carry reasonable loads in PB (although not a WC and probably not a wash basin, I feel). I'd consider drilling the tiles slightly oversize (but not the PB behind it) and pushing the plug in so that the plug doesn't end up expanding inside the tile and breaking it. TbH you are still going to be limited on how much weight you can hang on a PB wall

You
How do you use those in plasterboarded stud work walls?
You don't but you can use them on the other two walls to get through the tile, plasterboard and insulation. On a stud wall you can use a stud, put a noggin in or use a plasterboard fixing ...I like these

On a stud wall you can use a stud, put a noggin in or use a plasterboard fixing ...I like these

Been there, said that already. BTW Gripits require relatively enormous holes and a special cutter - so the can't be used on walls which have already been tiled

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back