Bike mount onto Hollow Wall help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could help. I’m looking to put up a bicycle hook onto a plasterboard wall in my kitchen. The total weight of the device is 2 kg and the bike 7kg. The instructions state that if putting up onto hollow wall ideally you need to ensure 1 of the 3 fixing goes into a wooden stud with a suitable wood screw. However the plasterboard specific hollow wall anchors I have purchased for the job specify a 50kg limit which the total load is well below.

Can someone please advise if it is necessary to fix onto one of the beams behind the plasterboard, I am limited to the area where I can hang the bike and if necessary that I have to fasten to a wooden stud I may not be able to proceed.

Sponsored Links
It is not just about the weight.

The problem is that plaster is fragile, every time you load and unload it that may flex the fixings, so over time the fixings could become loose.

If say you are fixing a flat plate, and that can be secured tight against the plasterboard, this would largly reduce the ability for the fixings to flex and become loose.

That will put some twisting force into it, very likely to work loose over time if the fixings are only into plasterboard.

Might still be good for a few years if done with care.

Is the back face flat? possibly using adhesive as well to the back face could solve this.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Your advice makes sense. Will see if I can locate a suitable timber stud if not will abandon.

Many thanks for your help

Do you know it's a timber stud wall or could it be dot and dab? or metal stud?

Seems to me that there is sufficient space behind the plate to cut out an exploratory hole and insert appropriate timbers or plaster backfill to provide the necessary support.

Just use plasterboard fixings make sure u put them in with an insetting gun, I've hung tons of rads with em never had an issues along as ur not tugging at them with a set of pliers constantly!!!

Hi thanks for your replies. I have found a vertical timber joist just where i need it behind the plasterboard using a stud finder.

One last question. Would you guys recommend using the device listed above, which has 3 fixing points. One of which will be into the timber joist and the other 2 into the plasterboard using the correct hollow wall anchors.

or would a hanging device with 2/ 3 fixings directly above each other that could all go into the timber joist be a better option. Similar to one in link below.

http://cycleseven.org/gear-up-off-the-wall-2-bike-horizontal-bike-rack-review

I’m a novice to all this stuff so please excuse my lack of knowledge, just want it to go up and stay up. Get the job done properly

The last two can just be vertically fixed into the stud = No problemo.

Your original product does look more flash and can work, but IMO fixing into plasterboard an item that will knocked about seems a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back