How to remove stud wall fixings for toilet cistern

How many plumbers goes it take to change a lightbulb? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why do I see a new thread opening up soon in the plastering section? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well by now we've comprehensively trashed your wall..... :p
I'm curious though....as the loo has been lifted a bit, courtesy of your new floor - how come these old fixings will be visible?
John :)

The previous flooring was vinyl, possible 2-3mm...now I have laminate as the vinyl didn't stick well to the concrete floor so the toilet now sits higher due to the underlay and laminate (good quality). When in position I can still see the top half of the wall anchors but sadly cant see enough of the holes to be able to get the bolts in again. :(

if it's a close coupled cistern two blobs of mastic (sealant) behind the back of the cistern at the top leave over night job done, some cisterns don't even have holes in them to fix to the wall.

It is a closed coupled cistern...and an option to consider, thanks.

When in position I can still see the top half of the wall anchors but sadly cant see enough of the holes to be able to get the bolts in again. :(
Trouble is, even if you do get them out, your new fixing point might be so close to the old holes that it'll be too weak to get a secure new anchor.

Short of cutting a larger hole in the dead area behind the cistern to enable you to fit some extra bits of timber to screw into, the only realistic solution is the one using a bit of mastic as suggested. Neither is ideal, but needs must...

Sponsored Links
Well I used a thin small flat blade screwdriver to make a small void behind the lugs then used a thin nose pair of pliers to bend and twist the lugs....after no much fettling the head broke off the anchor and I was able to push the rest into the cavity. These should fill nicely...happy with the outcome.

Thanks again to all that helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back