How to remove waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the best method (least destructive method) of removing a cast iron waste pipe?

It appears to have been cemented/bonded on both the internal and external leaf of the house

Ho5wDCS.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like copper to me, but could be wrong, cut both sides and hammer through once it goes in past the wall surface use a chisel to push it through, you don,t say what the other suface is and that plaster doesn't look great.

Presumably you want to preserve the wall not the pipe?
You could try lump hammer and cold chisel- cast iron is relatively brittle so you may get lucky and crack it lengthways. Do wear goggles/faceshield and suitable clothing to protect against shrapnel.
If that doesn't work then a 4" grinder with partworn cutting disc should fit inside- slit it lengthwise twice & tap the bits out

Cut around inside and out with hammer and chisel then as said give it a good belt with a club hammer, chances are it will drive through, as advised wear eye protection!!!
Unless it was built in when the wall was built (unlikely as the brickie will not do the plumbers job!) chances are there id lose fill or newspaper around the pipe and just made good at each end ('cos plumbers ain't the best of brickies!) ;)

Sponsored Links
One suggestion.
Cut a few bits of timber with the correct clearance hole for the pipe, maybe 150mm sq and made of thick ply type stuff, packing it up to close to the internal pipe - the timber can be cut in half and placed around the pipe, use tape to hold it together.

Shove a length of M10/12 studding through the pipe and into a substantial bit of metal on the inside of the house, double nut the stud

On the outside put the studding through a substantial piece of metal or timber and add a single nut , supporting the exterior metal/timber with enough thickness of packing to allow the pipe to be drawn through the wall as the outside nut is turned. The inside packing is to try to ensure that the pipe doesn't deform or collapse before the pipe begins to move . The hard part will be getting movement.
Once it starts to move you can slowly remove the internal packing as you get near it

If that doesn't work whack it with a hammer

Club hammer and bolster, you may take some plaster/mortar with it.

Blup

Thanks lads.. As the material has been identified as copper. What would be the easiest/least destructive way of removing this?

A recip saw has been on my wish list for a while now.. Could this give me the perfect excuse to get one? :D:D

Also once removed, can i just make good with 4 to 1 sand to cement?

@Tigercubrider thanks for your response, it was much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_122710164_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190815_122710164_HDR.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 165
Chip a bit of wall away and hit it with a club hammer!(y)
You can tell the Mrs we told you to treat yourself to a recip saw if you like we won't tell on you!;)

A cordless multi tool would be ideal as you could get up flush with the wall, a reciprocating saw wouldn't do this without bending the blade which is not advisable.

I have just cut plastic downpipe with my Makita cordless multi tool, it really is a great tool for all those jobs that used to take forever with a hacksaw.

Blup

I'd try gently levering it away from the wall outside, if you can get the bend clear, then some twisting and persuasion should get it through the wall, leaving the holes to make good. 4:1 sand/cement mortar will be fine. (Squirt of washing up liquid helps with the workability too if you didn't know.) Few pennies there towards your saw for the scrap too possibly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back